HIMSS Analytics awarded Seoul National University Bundang Hospital (SNUBH) the Stage 7 recognition during the HIMSS Asia10 Health IT Congress & Leadership Summit in Daegu, Korea
CHICAGO (November 19, 2010) – HIMSS Analytics announced Seoul National University Bundang Hospital (SNUBH) has reached Stage 7 on the HIMSS Analytics Electronic Medical Record Adoption Model℠ or EMRAM scale. It is the first hospital outside of the United States to achieve the Stage 7 designation, and the only hospital in Asia to do so.
The HIMSS Analytics EMR Adoption Model provides both a guide and leadership model for IT adoption in healthcare. Each higher stage is progressively more advanced in complex IT application implementation and usage with Stage 7 representing a totally paperless environment.
Just 1 percent of US hospitals rank at the Stage 7 achievement level on the EMRAM, which is an even higher level where care coordination throughout the hospital is improved with a paperless environment, comprehensive health information exchange and data warehousing for population health improvement.
The Seoul National University Bundang Hospital reached Stage 7 with:
· Almost all medical orders entered by physicians;
· 90 percent of physicians enter patient health information into the EHR using structured templates that generate valuable data enabling clinical decision support for clinical guidance.
· Efficiency gains through automation, such as relying on only four transcriptionists to support 910 inpatient beds and over 4,000 outpatient visits per day;
· The Medical Imaging department is fully digitized producing 1.2 terabytes of data per month for 70,000 radiologic exams per month;
· The closed loop medication administration (CLMA) process has the highest level of patient safety for bar-coded medications through RFID technology;
· The hospital uses clinical data warehousing for developing over 250 quality clinical indicators and 98 critical pathways; and
· A Health Information Exchange exists between the hospital and 36 private clinics in its region.
“The Seoul National University Bundang Hospital is an excellent example of healthcare IT adoption to improve the quality and efficiency of care while improving patient and employee satisfaction. We congratulate the hospital and its information technology team for creating this environment for its patients, employees and medical staff,” says John P. Hoyt, FACHE, FHIMSS, Executive Vice President, Organizational Services, HIMSS.
HIMSS Analytics is beginning to collect data on electronic health record implementation from all hospitals in Korea. More information on Stage 7 recognition is available on the HIMSS Analytics website.
About HIMSS Analytics
HIMSS Analytics is a wholly owned not-for-profit subsidiary of the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS). The company collects and analyzes healthcare information related to IT processes and environments, products, IS department composition and costs, IS department management metrics, healthcare trends and purchase-related decisions. HIMSS Analytics delivers high quality products, services and analytical expertise to healthcare delivery organizations, healthcare IT companies, state governments, financial companies, pharmaceutical companies, and consulting firms. Visit www.himssanalytics.org for more information.