I was reminded today that some pharmaceutical companies do invest in global public health initiatives. Novo Nordisk established the World Diabetes Foundation in 2002 and this foundation has funded projects focusing on diabetes awareness, education, and capacity-building in the developing world. This foundation focuses on these areas:
- Awareness of diabetes
- Prevention of diabetes and its complications
- Education and training of patients and health care professionals
- Enhancement of detection, treatment and monitoring of diabetes
- The establishment of the World Diabetes Foundation (WDF) was announced by its founding father Novo Nordisk A/S on World Diabetes Day 2002.
- The World Diabetes Foundation has funded 208 projects to date, covering 87 countries.
- The Foundation is a independent and non-profit foundation governed by the Danish Act on Foundations.
To visit the World Diabetes Foundation, click on this link: http://www.worlddiabetesfoundation.org
(You may wish to make a donation while you're there)